Content Marketing Explained: What It Is and How It Works

Photo by Merakist

Published: July 2021

Content is the jelly to my peanut butter. After all, this is Content by Carrie Jean.

That makes me the perfect person to explain content marketing to you–what it is and how it works. 

Have you ever seen Clarissa Explains It All? Well, Carrie Jean is takin’ over today, sis!

Let’s get right to it.

What is content marketing?

Content marketing is “a marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain an audience”, that ultimately results in increased sales.

How does content marketing work?

Content marketing works because traditional marketing doesn’t! 

Instead of relentlessly pitching your product, you provide relevant useful information about your product or service to build trust and reduce the buyer’s fear.

You can mix content marketing into your marketing strategy through,

  • Blogs

  • Social Media

  • Influencer Marketing

Blog Content Marketing

Blogs are my absolute favorite method of content marketing. So much so that you probably didn’t realize I’m doing it now! 🙂

Your audience most likely goes to Google (or YouTube!) to find the answers to those problems. You want to be the answer they find. This is how brands like Yoga with Adriene became so successful. 

Use basic SEO guidelines, stay upbeat and informative, and have a strong call-to-action at the end of every post that’s easy to follow, and it’ll be hard to not make a sale!

Social Media Content Marketing

Social media content marketing is similar to marketing on our blog. You’ve just got to make it user-friendly and easy to digest quickly while you’re audience is scrolling.

Half the battle is getting them to scroll!

Keep your posts relatable, useful, and shareable. Need more on social media content? Check out my other blog post here

Influencer Marketing

Ask other (big and small) social media accounts to talk about and share your product! You’d be surprised at how many big brands take advantage of influencer marketing. 

The influencers will share to their audience, how to use your product, what they like about it, and other useful tips that your prospective buyer is probably wondering. 

Watch this video for a history of content marketing.

If you aren’t seeing sales, it’s probably because you aren’t adopting this rule.

The golden 80:20 rule, that is! 

Think about it. You have three hardware stores on your block. But you always go to the store where the nice lady behind the counter tells you what you need for the project that you’re currently taking on. It doesn’t matter it’s more expensive! You’ll happily pay for the useful information.

That’s the 80:20 rule, in a nutshell, my friends. 

Give your consumer 80% useful information and the remaining 20% should be suggesting your product to solve the problem.

Water your audience with useful content and watch your sales flourish!

Content marketing is all over the place! Start to analyze commercials and blog posts and you’ll see it everywhere.

Practice implementing this into your marketing strategy and I’m confident you’ll see your audience grow and your sales, too!

You can also take the super easy route and hire a content writer to help you strategize and crank out SEO-focused blogs. That’s one of my favorite and main skills at Content by Carrie Jean! Schedule a consultation before open spots run out. 

If you enjoyed this, let me know or share it with a friend!
5/5
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on reddit

Carrie Jean is a Hoosier-turned-Californian with over 12 years in customer service in corporate settings. Now she’s a business owner offering copy and blog writing as well as virtual assistance services. Fun Fact: She loves Abe Lincoln.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to stay in the loop?